The fake-meat debate

Vegetarian meat alternatives have been around for years now but as they become increasingly realistic we’re starting to wonder just where they stop being suitable for veggies!

Would you eat lab-grown meat? A decade ago Quorn and Linda McCartney were leading the market with their veggie meat alternatives. Cue, vegetarians being asked why they wouldn’t eat meat but they would eat Quorn! Fyi, Quorn is made from a fungus called mycroprotein - doesn’t sound particularly tasty but it does sound veggie!

The latest development is lab-grown meats. A US company called Memphis Meats have announced that they’ve developed chicken and duck meat using cultured cells from a bird. So, it was never an animal but it does use biotechnology to exactly recreate animal cells which are then made into meat.

Vegetarian or not, you may be feeling a little queasy by now but would you be willing to try? And if you are vegetarian, is this something that you’d be willing to eat?

@all: Do you think lab-grown meat is veggie?

13 Comments

Lucky_Orlando • 30/05/2017 - 20:21

Think this may be progress towards reducing the number of animals reared for meat but as a veggie I could not and would not eat it.

bevsuperkev • 05/06/2017 - 22:18

It sounds a bit weird but the amount of animals that are killed is unreal it would be interesting to try and see what it looked like

TheCraftyLass • 09/06/2017 - 23:01

In the future I see this process becoming more widely used, and will ultimately bring about cheaper meat (although at the moment research & implementation costs make it ridiculously expensive!) and less animal suffering.

HOWEVER, I think as the original cells were cultured from a bird, some or even many vegetarians will feel it is unacceptable to eat?

Emma_swift • 10/06/2017 - 16:06

As a vegetarian for over 25 years I must say this sounds intriguing, not sure about it but am definitely interested as animal welfare is a big concern of mine

testergirl • 11/06/2017 - 21:01

As a vegetarian I'm not sure I could eat it personally. But if it tasted like real meat maybe it could be a good alternative for meat eaters to reduce the amount of animals killed for meat.

Andrea68 • 13/06/2017 - 00:05

I can't eat meat due to a disease I have, I can't digest it so it makes me ill. I've been eating vegetarian meat alternatives for over 3 years now and I find they're getting better, tastier and more creative. It's a great way for meat eaters to reduce their meat intake

Hazel • 14/06/2017 - 14:33

If they are using cultured cells from a bird, doesn't that make it meat? I don't think I would fancy it either way.

littlehap • 16/06/2017 - 15:02

As a meat eater and animal lover I battle over eating meat in the first place, I think this could be a great alternative for people like myself which seem to be a growing number. I for one would give it a go, anything that helps curb our meat consumption is a bonus.

suezanne • 17/06/2017 - 05:37

I am a meat eater,but to me it just doesn't sound quite right.I wouldn't eat it. The thought of it actually turns my stomach,I can't imagine many vegetarians would want to eat it either because surely they would need animals in the first place to take the cells from and where would they keep them?
It says they use "cultured cells from a bird",which bird is that? I wouldn't have thought they would want to keep travelling to farms to get the cells so would want them close by.

Geepers • 18/06/2017 - 19:53

It sounds a bit Victor Frankenstein to me. I am a meat eater and used to work in a butcher shop, but it sounds pretty awful somehow. I don't understand how it could be suitable for vegetarians if the cells are cultured from an animal.

Ellisa • 19/06/2017 - 17:21

This is a really interesting concept that has me very undecided. Although not strictly vegetarian, I limit my intake of meat and eat a predominantly vegetarian life style. The thought of "lab-grown meat" sounds horrendous to me and not certainly something I would like to try, however if it provided a real alternative to help meat consumption it would be fabulous to learn more about the project

sunzstan • 21/06/2017 - 16:43

As a vegetarian from birth it doesn't appeal to me. 'Cultured from birds', I don't think will appeal to someone who has never eaten/tried meat in their life.

mooscatsky • 21/06/2017 - 21:13

Depends on why a person is a vegetarian. If animal cruelty this probably doesn't make it ok. Same if you don't like meat or don't eat for health reasons. I would try it but remain to be convinced of the need.